Dr. Marcus Christoffel founded the company as a hotel-secretarial school

  • 1966 Dr. Markus Christoffel founds the Swiss School of Tourism and Hospitality (SSTH)
  • 1969 Study program launched for students with higher entry qualifications, forerunner of the current “Swiss Professional Degree in Hospitality Management”
  • 1972 First special courses in English introduced for international students
  • 1979 Business and tourism college founded in Chur; launch of tourism course with Swiss state-approved vocational qualification
  • 1991 SSTH acquires the Spa Hotel Passugg as its new school hotel
  • 1992 Partnership agreement with the University of Delaware; students can study for a bachelor’s degree
  • 1993 “Gastgewerbliche Fachschule Graubünden” hotel and restaurant college founded in Chur; SSTH launches a new vocational basic training course in hospitality
  • 2000 Purchase of majority shares in SSTH by Arabella Switzerland AG
  • 2008 First bachelor course offered on the Passugg campus in conjunction with Queen Margaret University
  • 2012 New collaboration with Edinburgh Napier University offering an integrated course of bachelor studies
  • 2013 Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) Group acquires SSTH
  • 2015 SSTH is integrated into the new organizational structure of holding company “EHL AG”
  • 2015 New gastronomy concept (culinary arts) launched with focus on sustainability; school-operated, in-house restaurants (outlets) opened
  • 2015 Preparatory year introduced for entry to the College of Professional Training and Education
  • 2015 SSTH launches Bachelor of Science in International Hospitality Management HES-SO (Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne curriculum)
  • 2016 SSTH celebrates its 50th anniversary

History of the Spa Hotel Passugg

  • 1883 After the Passugg mineral springs are rediscovered when a passion for the Alps develops around the turn of the 20th century, the former guest house nearby is converted into the Spa Hotel Passugg with 64 rooms and 92 beds. It also contains a lobby, a meeting room, various activities rooms and of course the “Passugger Stübli” restaurant.
  • 1896 Spa house with sampling room built over the Rabiosa Gorge for guests wishing to stroll to the mineral water spring.
  • 1901/1902 Spa hotel extended by 40 extra rooms, 52 beds and additional bathing cubicles.
  • 1903 Villa Schönfels built with 26 rooms and 26 beds.
  • 1909/1910 Northern wing added along with more mineral baths and water therapy rooms.

Today
Following thorough renovation and extensions, the school hotel now has over 140 rooms, of which 106 are single occupancy. The hotel can accommodate 160 students in total.

Back to Top